1880Master builder August Bernatz establishes Bernatz Ingenieurwissenschaft as an engineering business: it becomes known, from 1886 as Bernatz & Grün and, from 1892, as Grün & Bilfinger.
1890Julius Berger Tiefbau AG and Berlinische Boden-Gesellschaft, are both founded.
1898Deutsche Babcock AG is established as a German subsidiary of the British boilermaking company Babcock & Wilcox, Limited.
1912Grün & Bilfinger debuts shares at stock market.
19451945 - Frederik van Iterson establishes Tebodin (N.V. Nederlandsch Technisch Bureau voor Ontwikkeling der Industrie) during post-war reconstruction efforts in The Hague, Netherlands.
1968Earliest presence in the region by Deutsche Babcock - power plant EPC in Kuwait.
1970Grün & Bilfinger acquires a majority stake in Julius Berger-Bauboag AG, itself a merger of two companies, Julius Berger Tiefbau AG and Berlinische Boden-Gesellschaft AG, both founded in 1890. The combined business is renamed Bilfinger & Berger Bauaktiengesellschaft.
In the same year, Deutsche Babcock acquires Borsig AG, renamed Babcock Borsig Service.
1974Tebodin begins expansion abroad, starting with Abu Dhabi.
2001The company changes its name to Bilfinger Berger AG.
2005Bilfinger Berger buys all shares of Babcock Borsig Service Group.
2012Bilfinger Berger is renamed Bilfinger SE. The company acquires Tebodin BV in the same year.